What Is The Best Approach To Getting Into PR?


What Is The Best Approach To Getting Into PR?

By Tiffany Lan (In-house PR for Reppify, PRTiffany)

It brings me a great deal of excitement when I hear more and more people are pursuing a career in PR. I’m often asked the question, “What’s the best approach to getting into PR?” PR isn’t something one can learn in a day or even explained fully in a blog post. On another note, I believe that a PR agent is the mixture of a former writer, aspiring actor, and wedding planner, but let’s save that thought for another entry. So, in hopes of explaining What is PR? and the best approach to getting into the field, I’ve compiled a few points:


1. Who, What, When, Where, Why

"Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself."
George Bernard Shaw

The Beatles said it best in their timeless song, Hey Jude. “If you want [a career in PR], go out and get [it]”! But first, ask yourself these following questions:

WHO do you want to represent? Is it Tech, Non-profit, Fashion, Consumer, B2B, etc.?
WHAT is PR? Do you have good relations with the media? Make sure you know how to write a press release. Hint: Who, What, When, Where, Why
WHERE do you start? How does your resume look? Do you have experience in writing and communications? Have you completed an internship in PR? Make sure the answer is “Yes”.
WHEN do you start? Figure out if you want to work in-house, for an agency, or a consultancy and then apply.
WHY Public Relations? You could be anything in this world – why a PR agent? Be truthful about your response as integrity’s key in the PR field.
 

2. NO News isn’t GOOD News in the PR world

"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence. (Via Great minds)"
Xenocrates

I’ve been active in my community since I can remember. I enjoy meeting new people and learning their story. When I feel inspired by a person or a cause, I make it a point to spread the message to my network. I especially love to consult with my peers about what inspires them. If they’ve only touched base with a great idea but lack a clear plan of implementation, I help them craft it, solidify it, and put all the pieces together. Once it’s “finely tuned”, we - distribute it via the necessary outlets – and sing! Make sure you’re aware of the various distribution tactics in PR: Press release sites, social media platforms, media relations, etc.


3. The Public’s three R’s: React, Respond, Reiterate

"The way people communicate is deeply linked with the culture, values and norms of a society. (Via Warc)"
Shobha Prasad

It’s common for a PR agent to handle a company’s content creation; writing blog posts, tweets, and other social media messages. Words are powerful, meaning they can move mountains. However, they can also obliterate a relationship between the public and a company. A PR agent must work hard to stay mindful of “the cultures, values, and norms of a society”. Understand your audience as well as you understand gravity – what goes up, must come down. Meaning, you’re not speaking to air on the web so you must be ready to address the public when needed. Before you release content, have a clear idea of how the publics will react, respond, and reiterate the news to others. Spending time to reflect on The Three R’s before you release content will assure a more mindful post.


About the blogger: Tiffany Lan manages Reppify public relations initiatives, leveraging both traditional and social media. Prior to Reppify, Tiffany worked in PR for Real Options for City Kids (R.O.C.K), a San Francisco-based nonprofit. Prior to R.O.C.K, Tiffany worked as Public Relations Assistant for GrubCrawl, who offered walking social food tours in Northern California. A proud Banana Slug, Tiffany studied at UC Santa Cruz where she graduated with degrees in Community Studies and Biological Sciences. Aside from Reppify, Tiffany consults with various non-profits and startups on PR initiatives including brand awareness, social media management, and event planning. Follow her on Twitter at @PRTiffany


Comments

  1. I'm in DESPERATE need of effective PR and marketing. Great article. I'm excited to implement your Who, Where, What, When Why approach. I've began writing down my answers to each of these questions. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Nicholas! More Tips coming soon!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Annoying Things about Silicon Valley, CA

Lessons from Jay-Z and a Random Review I Read about the Book, 'Decoded'